Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival." ~C.S. Lewis

It's just one of those things you don't adequately appreciate until it's gone. Now don't misunderstand me, Nick is my best friend (second only to my Savior). I wouldn't be marrying him otherwise.

However...there's just something unique and special about the bond between a girl and her girl friends. It's hard to beat the laughs or tears shared over a glass of wine or a margarita about things only your girls understand! I've come to the realization that you just can't replace your college friends, who become more like sisters in those few years. I think living so far from them has just hit me pretty hard finally.

I just long for the sweet, trusting, dependent, sincere friendships I shared with those girls. It's not easy to move somewhere so far from friends and family and not be able to develop those relationships. I just miss girls' night out, girl trips, women's Bible study, wine & movie nights, dance parties, and those special heart-to-hearts, as cheesy as it sounds. There's nothing like wedding planning to make you miss close friends to share it all with...My manly fiancé is only interested in so many details, haha.

So the prayers continue....I know God has a plan for this. My greatest desire in these selfish thoughts is to have the blessing of bring a good friend to someone else. God has given me the spiritual gift of encouragement, and I just don't feel that I'm using it to it's full potential right now. Maybe He wants me to lean more heavily on His friendship...to which none other can compare. Maybe He wants me to focus on my best friend as we prepare to spend our lives together. Maybe He is preparing my heart to be a friend to someone that desperately needs it.

In other news...I survived my first week of third grade!!! My students are so fun, but we've got a lot of work to do. I pray for them daily...pray that they will see Jesus through my every word and action.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: