Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011?!

2010 was definitely an awesome rebound from 2009! It has had it's share of pain, and more "Leaps of Faith" than I ever thought possible...but I think I'll call it "The Year of Second Chances."
Some of my favorite memories:
  • Ringing in the New Year in dowtown Dallas with some of my favorite people in the whole world.
  • PBR Rodeo at Cowboys Stadium & Cowboys afterward with my girls
  • Spring Break on the beach - crazy, crazy, crazy.
  • filling a weekly obsession with country dancing...Dallas, Ft. Worth, Sherman, Terrell, New Braunfels, College Station, Huntsville...
  • Motorcross race weekend in Dallas with my sweet boyfriend...and Pete's Piano bar afterward with my cousin!
  • Chilifest...Team Keystone Lake & Resort...enough said.
  • Bridget's Aggie Ring Weekend!
  • becoming a VIP/"penguin" at Harry's...I just love to dance.
  • Surprising Nick at the River Trip
  • Family reunion at the lake
  • finding real, unconditional love
  • "Does this shirt make me look tall?"
  • weekends in the country with Britt's family
  • River trip/Shiner Brewery tour with my girls
  • 3 day driving escapade across Texas for job interviews
  • Estes Park, CO with Julie and Jenn...what an awesome place to see the glory of my Savior!
  • DeJong 25th Anniversary party
  • Walker family reunion
  • 1/2 of my first year as a teacher! and a Kindergarten teacher at that!
  • the great move to the Panhandle...better known as Antarctica, TX.
  • seeing Easton Corbin live
  • getting back into running!
  • surprise birthday trip to Colorado Springs with my sweet Nick!
  • going home at Thanksgiving for the first time in a while
  • Poncho!!!
  • reunion weekend in College Station with my girls!
  • Christmas break with my amazing family

So 2011, I don't know how you arrived so quickly, but I welcome you with open arms. I am in a career that I love, in a place that I love, near a man that I love, supported by a family I love, and under the watchful eye of the God of love. It doesn't get much better than that! Oddly enough (and a good way to start the new year), I was in staff development today with a speaker specializing in brain development and how to use that in the classroom. Little did I know how applicable it would be to my own life. The memory and brain develop through 5 important things; talking (I'm already pretty good at that), moving (good thing I've rediscovered a love for running- teaching Kindergarten might help that too haha), connecting (new information, old information, memories, etc), thinking positively (confidence and less stress/anger/fear), and having a purpose (find what and who you love).

So after some thinking and praying I've made some decisions for the new year...I refuse to call it "New Year's Resolutions" but rather a change of heart.

talking- Most of the time I'd rather just have surface conversations, short in duration and about nothing much deeper than the weather. That's not loving people as Christ loved people...I think it's time I open up a little.

moving- I teach Kindergarten...I am constantly moving. And I'm back into distance running, so hopefully this one is taking care of itself.

connecting- I love to write, so I'll be trying to use my blog and journal more often for thinking through my thoughts and ideas...and to have them for looking back on later.

thinking positively- I have improved so much in this area. I think it helps that the man I adore doesn't have a negative bone in his body and being around 19 of the most joyful people every day for 8 hours :) Life's too short to be upset. Little things that used to matter, just don't matter so much anymore. I'd rather delight in the joy my Savior brings.

having a purpose- to glorify God. I thought it was interesting that this was such a huge factor. People without a purpose live much shorter lives than people who determine and pursue a purpose. I'm reminding myself everyday to walk closely with my sweet Jesus and entrust Him with every future moment. I even taped a reminder on my bathroom mirror, so that I will read it every morning.

Each day, I'll be putting on the full armor of God and a smile...so 2011...bring on the blessings and joy!

No comments: